The primary goal of the official Nelson Tasman Tourism website is to be a source of unbiased and trustworthy information for visitors and to showcase the region. Additionally the website must meet NTT’s business requirements to generate income, by selling advertising products, listings on the site itself and promoting online bookings that earn commissions.
Write Across Media was initially appointed to develop a Request for Proposal document, by first undertaking an extensive business needs analysis and researching “best in field” websites in the tourism industry.
WAM then invited vendors to respond, seeking proposals for a new open source content management system (CMS) platform that is supported by a broad development community and continually evolves so that the organisation’s online capabilities are to some extent “future proofed”, particularly in the following ways:
- Responsive design capabilities continually adapt as new devices (and screen sizes) are introduced
- Visual design continues to adapt as screen resolution capabilities (e.g. Retina screens) develop
- Third party content can continue to be integrated as new plugins and APIs become available (e.g. ItsOn event calendar, bookIt, TripAdvisor, Google Maps, Flickr)
- Social media integration continually adapts as new plug-ins become available, so that the site features visitor’s content as well as NTT’s own broadcasts (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr etc)
- Sub-sites and other language versions of the site can be easily and cost-effectively deployed
- Personalisation features, giving visitors the ability to easily like/favourite content (and the site remembers their preferences throughout the session or, if they save it, in subsequent sessions), can be introduced.
Following the selection of the successful vendor, Hothouse, WAM acted as project manager during the five month build, and continues to provide content management, coaching and training support to the in-house team at Nelson Tasman Tourism.